kythera family kythera family
  

Working Life

Photos > Working Life > Kythera Close signpost. Looking back towards the city of Grafton.

10585: Photos > Working Life

submitted by Victor Panaretos on 29.05.2006

Kythera Close signpost. Looking back towards the city of Grafton.

The Close leads to a Property Development by Arthur Bernard. Grafton, NSW.

Kythera Park, a residential housing estate, with each block on several acres.

A typical quality residence on the Estate can be seen on the corner in the background.

The estate is on the main road leading to Nymboida.

The development was undertaken by George Peter and Denise Bernard  ( Venados ) —- Son of Peter Bernard ( Venardos ) of Karavas.

Bernard Family, Grafton. Brief history.

Adapted from Peter Tsicalas' notes, held in repository, Clarence River Historical Society, Grafton

Panagiotis Athanasios Venardos, (Peter Arthur Bernard), b. Aug 1900 Karavas, son of Arthur Emmanuel, landed Mar 1911 with father and brother. Spent lyr Allora, 2yrs Esk, lyr Sydney, until going into business with father at Cessnock. Remained for 4yrs until moving to Katoomba for 1-2 yrs thence Grafton early 1931. Married Violet White (b. 1911 NZ) 1931 Paddington. Arthur born 30/6/33 Grafton, George b. 20/10/36 Grafton.

Peter Bernard owned the Popular Cafe,75 Prince Street

He is believed to be related to the Aroneys of Murbah. His son Arthur still lives in Grafton.  George is enjoying annual trips to Kythera with his wife in retirement.


Peters' son George retired to the Gold Coast. His married sister Kerani is living in Marybourgh Qld.

 

Peters Popular Cafe in Prince Street was purchased by son George  on 3 /7/ 1961 closed the doors 16 /9 /1968 when he established the Gold Fish Bowl coffee shop  in Parkway arcade ( built by the brothers ) Prince Street Grafton until 25 /1/ 1971.

 

The brothers in partnership then  built, and George managed  the Camden Lodge Motel in Villiars Street Grafton.


Peter Bernard was Deanna Psaros’s (Inverell) Nono, in fact she was christened at the Cafe. Subsequentley he was the best man at her wedding to Peter McCarthy in Inverell in 1962. The McCarthys moved to Grafton in 1964, at which time Peter had retired and the shop was run by his sons George and Arthur.

Leave a comment