submitted by Kytherian Cultural Exchange on 22.10.2012
The joint Committee for the Commemoration of the Anniversary of the Battle for Crete and Greek Campaign invites you to a
to be held in honour of the 70th Anniversary of the Greek and Crete Campaigns
Date of event : 6 Dec 2012
Place: State Parliament Theatrette
Bookings essential by 22 November 2012
(Enquiries: 0438 007 560)
RSVP: Dr Maria Hill (Convenor )
email: Email Maria Hill
The speakers for the symposium are:
• Professor Joy Damousi - University of Melbourne ( our keynote speaker) http://history.unimelb.edu.au/about/staff/damousi.html
• Dr Ian Frazer - retired senior lecturer from the University of Otago , Dunedin will be speaking about "History of Escape and Evasion in Enemy Occupied Crete 1941- 1943" http://www.times.co.nz/books/on-the-run.html
• Dr Brian Taaffe - New Zealander who is speaking about his book: The Gate Keepers of Galatas - about his father's involvement in the New Zealand Petrol Company that fought on Crete http://www.redkangaroobooks.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2081183
• Susanna De Vries about her book - Blue Ribbons Bitter Bread on the life of on Joice Nan Kivell Loch. http://susannadevries.com/blue_ribbons_bitter_bread.html
• Dr Maria Hill discussing the Australian relationship with the Greeks during WW2 http://www.mariahill.com.au/diggersandgreeks/
• Dr Michael Bendon (archaeologist) talking about his discovery of sunken naval craft off the coast of Crete: http://www.smh.com.au/world/mystery-emerges-from-the-deep-20120825-24t2d.html and http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/a-cretan-mystery-revealed
This event is sponsored by the NSW Government
I am the editor of a family web-site : benardoutlite.com which collates the known history of the Benardout family from...
Interviewed by Joshua Kepreotis
Sitting in his office in Livadi, wearing his signature suit and tie, Manolis Cassimatis –...
Kythera: An Island Named Desire Film
written by Mario Romano October 14, 2020
There’s a lot going on in James...
This photo must have been taken in about 1930. My grandparents - Dimitri and Eleni Prineas (Haniotis) are in the...
About 5 minutes into the program Ada Margariti, who is an Attorney at Law, speaks about how she came to...
Interviewed during his visit to Australia, 2013.
August 17, 2010
103.2 HOPE - radio station
You’ve heard of PhDs in science, medicine and education but have you...
Brisbane kytherians at paliochora excursion ..exploring the wonderful site and seeing all the churches .. this one is called ' e...
Gorgeous Ruby! Ruby's father was Evangelo Megaloconomos born 7 September 1891, died 29 January 1983
Ruby was born 16 September...
10.10.2020 (Message Board)
I believe we are distant relatives ... Gavrelis is our americanized Greek family name from Kythera.
03.10.2020 (Message Board)
My Papou is Evriades Gavrelis from Logothetianika who came to America before WWI. Evriades and his cousin...
12.09.2020 (Message Board)
Not sure if I can help if she was born in Smyrna. Lots of Kytherians emigrated to...
My maternal grandparents were Greek . I believe they were born in Smyrna & emigrated to Egypt....