submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 14.08.2014
xpona polla to everybody ... 15th august to those lucky ones who will be at myrtithia tomoorow .. light a candle for all us that cant be in the holy grounds to be a part of this very special and holy day .....
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 06.08.2014
today being the 6th of august , is the panayari at beautiful agia moni .. xpona polla to all
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 31.07.2014
for the Greek Australians currently on kythera tomorrow is a very significant day on the island , the celebration of agia ellessa , so instead of going to beaches , going to out to all hours of the night, sitting in platias having coffee , bragging on Facebook, who owns what land, houses etc, taking photos from the air , diving for buried treasure in the ocean , dancing in villages, go up the mountain to agia ellessa and attend the church service up there in the morning, apart from a very moving service , the views from there are magnificent , unfortunately as the years go by less people are attending the church services on the island and in years to come no one will be attending these special days , agia ellese is one of the saints of the island and should be recognized by all kytherians .... do you self a favour and attend these church services they are a very big make up of the island .... xpona polla !
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 23.06.2014
being from the village of trifyllianika , well my father , the icon comes to agios jannis as part of the easter celebrations this year , lovely to see lots of people walking from potamos to trifyllianika for this very moving part of easter .. xpona polla !
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 18.05.2014
one of the stops of the sacred icon is the old peoples home at potamo just after Easter ..
submitted by Barbara Zantiotis on 17.05.2014
Remains of the old church at Agios Theodoros - August 1986.
submitted by Barbara Zantiotis on 04.05.2015
Father Efthimio was the abbot at the monastery at Agia Moni for many years. He was very popular and even visited Australia a few times.
I took this photo on August 12, 1986.
Lovely church with a beautiful view.
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 17.05.2014
the icon is bought up from agia pelagia to potamo as part of the village tour at Easter ....
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 16.05.2014
after Easter the icon from mrytithia is taken to the villages of kythera , here its on the way to melitianika to trifyllianika via this short cut on this track ....
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 14.05.2014
the splendid byzantine architecture of agios theodoros , view from the back of the monastery ,near the new hospital , recently the agios theodors panayiri was held on the 12 th may ... xpona polla ...
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 13.05.2014
inside myrtithia monastery, where every kytherian has visted to be blessed by the icon ...
submitted by Kytherian Ecology on 13.05.2014
The island is also called Tsitigoto, from the name Cerigoto given by the Venetians, or even, Lee (Lioi), perhaps from the Aegila, the ancient name of the island. The island was of great strategic importance due to the position between Kythera and Crete. It flourished from 400 BC depended on the city Phalasarna located at the north western Cape Gramvoussa of Crete. The city was a pirate base and it seems that the island was a milestone for the protection from the north. Phalasarna was destroyed by the Romans during their campaign against the pirates in 69 to 67 BC and Aegila had the same fate.
In the area of Kastro are the ruins of the ancient Aegila. Lower, in the small bay of Xeropotamos, are the remains of the harbor and of a sanctuary of Apollo. The earthquake that shook southern Greece in 365 AD also had an effect on the Antikythera. The level of the sea and the coastline changed and the land was elevated two to three meters.
The island was inhabited again after the 4th century AD. At some areas the remains of Byzantine settlements have been found. In 1204 the island was occupied by the Venetians, like many other islands. The Venetians named Tsirigo (Cerigo) the island of Kythera and Tsirigoto (Cerigoto) the island of Antikythera. They remained until 1800 and Tsirigoto became a refuge for many people who left from Crete and Peloponnese after the Ottoman conquest. In 1815 together with the other Ionian Islands it was dominated by England and used as an exile place for the radicals of the islands. In 1864 the Ionian Islands were united with Greece. Cretans came once again to the island after a new insurrection in Crete. Most of today’s residents come from Sphakia Crete. In the early 20th century the inhabitants were 334, but many fled abroad as immigrants.
Round the island – The beaches
Centre of life is Potamos, port and capital at the head of a bay that goes deep into the north coast, forming a safe anchorage. Of particular interest is the watermill of Andronicus, traditional building maintained throughout. Strolling around we will also see five windmills, built in the 19th century. There are seven churches on the island. In Potamos Aghios Charalambos, Aghios Nickolaos at the entrance of the harbor and the twin church dedicated to Panagia (Virgin Mary) and Aghios Dionyssios; in the settlement Pateriana Aghios Konstantinos, in Katsaneviana Aghios Georgios and in Galaliana Aghios Myron, protector of the island. High on the hill is Prophetes Elias.
We can swim at the beach Chalarain Potamos, as well as the beach of Xeropotamos east of the capital. The area of Xeropotamos has great archaeological interest. Over a small bay is Kastro (Castle), the ancient city of the Hellenistic era. The city spread over an area of 300 acres and lived there until the 1st century BC. The walls were built in 300 BC and in many places reach a height of six meters. The archaeological research continues every summer in August and September. Currently, visitors are guided by the archaeologists. In the bay of Xeropotamos was the port of the ancient city. We can see some of the points where the ships were tied. In the cove are the ruins of a sanctuary of Apollo; here a headless statue of the god was found. In the rock is carved a ship sheds, a sloping space to store a pirate ship or warship; it is one of the few preserved intact in the Greek area. Interesting are also the remains of the Byzantine era. In Charchaliana, near Potamos, a settlement was created in the 4th or 5th century, which lasted until the 7th or 8th century. Graves and wine presses are carved into the rock. Byzantine remains also exist elsewhere. One of the most beautiful areas of the island is Kamarela, southwest of Potamos, in the middle of the west coast. It is a magical little cove surrounded by cliffs with an amazing sea.
At the southern tip of the island, Cape Apolytara, is one of the most historic Greek lighthouses. The Apolytara Lighthouse was built in 1926 and is an architectural monument. There were lighthouse keepers until 1987. In 2004 following a proposal by the Community of the island the Navy decided to fully preserve the building and manned lighthouse keepers again. It is better to go by sea. There are paths that start at Katsaneviana or at Galaliana but be very careful along the way.
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 10.05.2014
these women from the village of katsoulianika greet the panayia icon for a blessing , katsoulianika is a lovely little village just past logothetianika..
patre georgie at agios georgios, inside this beautiful very old church,just after easter , a service was conducted there, then afterwards outside the church food was provided with spectacular views of avlomona and diakofti.. at night ...
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 09.05.2014
the epitapho sits inside ellaryoutsa church in potamo at this years easter celebrations on a chilly april evening ..
the epitapho moves through the the streets of potamos
the beautiful epitapho at agia pelagia church on good friday was paraded along the agia pelagia village strip and on the mollo.. a lovely and moving ceremony this easter ..
submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 06.05.2014
for the first time ever the icon is taken to our new hospital at agios theodoros during this years Easter celebrations
Gorgeous Ruby! Ruby's father was Evangelo Megaloconomos born 7 September 1891, died 29 January 1983
Ruby was born 16 September...
the classicial village of trifyllianika , near potamos dates back to to the 1600 , it was formed when paliochora...
GOLDEN CROWN FINANCE PLC is a British based financial consulting company with years of experience in the international and local ...
Hora is at south Kythera near the castle and Kapsali. The office is situated next to the...
About 5 minutes into the program Ada Margariti, who is an Attorney at Law, speaks about how she came to...
Interviewed during his visit to Australia, 2013.
August 17, 2010
103.2 HOPE - radio station
You’ve heard of PhDs in science, medicine and education but have you...
Teacher, journalist, poet and author, Sydney NSW Australia
kythera we dont see anymore, this photo was taken in the early 80s, when it wasnt uncommon to see this...
01.02.2019 (Message Board)
21.01.2019 (Message Board)
Thanks Tina. What/where is Hora office.
18.01.2019 (Message Board)
I notice quit a few people posting messages on how go about locating ancestors from Kythera.
14.01.2019 (Message Board)
my daughter is waiting patiently (about 18 months now) for her Greek citizenship. Considering mine took...